Sunday, April 12, 2009

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

As promised, here is the review to Gayle Forman's If I Stay.


In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make-and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

When I first picked this up, I was a little disappointed at the size, worried that parts of the novel would be rushed or details might be left out, but it was the complete opposite. Everything was explained thoroughly and I was never confused at something, or left wondering what happened.

Originality was shown superbly throughout the novel and in the plot line itself. The writing was fantastic and easy to understand. I never wanted to put the book down. And I never once got bored like I do while reading sometimes.

While Mia is experiencing an outside body experience she contemplates on whether to wake up or not after a kind nurse tells her grandparents that it is her choice, if she stays or if she goes. And just when she's ready to let go, to join her family on the other side, a problem presents itself. Someone needs her and begs her not to let go.

Mia's decision is made at the end when she realizes something. And even though I was happy to see it end the way it did, I felt like there could have been more. Maybe an elaboration on her music situation, or her relationship with Adam. But maybe that's what Gayle Forman wanted to do, allow the readers to predict their own endings. Either way, I was happy with the ending, but felt that maybe there could have been more.

After reading this, I'm sure that there couldn't have been a better title. If I Stay was just perfect. And it was a great read, it'll definitely be on my mind for a while.

Ratings:

Writing: 5/5
Story: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5

3 comments:

Peaches said...

I've been wanting to read this for a while, and your review just got me that much more excited. Sounds great!

Liyana said...

That's a great detailed review! Now I'm definitely putting it on my TBR list.

Unknown said...

i really liked this one too!