Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words. Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings. In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

Wings is by far the best book I've read in a month or two. It's perfectly written, easy to read, and filled with everything I want to read about. The story was never slow, and kept me wanting more, page after page. It was an easy read and I love that about a book.

Laurel is a teenage girl whose family has just enrolled her in public school, after being home schooled her whole life. The transition is difficult for her to grasp, until she gets closer to David and befriends Chelsea. Her life seems pretty normal, until a wing-like flower grows out of her back. With the help of David, and another faerie, Tamani, she learns more about herself and struggles to save a gate that leads to the faerie realm.

I love the characters. Like David; he's gentle and willing to do anything to help Laurel, and he hasn't given up on her. I love that. Tamani, however, was a little harder to understand, for he was always mysterious and playful.

Another thing that I loved was the romance. I'm a complete sucker for romance, and in Wings it's light, and lovely. Overall, Wings was a great debut novel! Aprilynne is now one of my favorite authors! I simply cannot wait for the next book!

Ratings:

Writing: 5/5
Story: 5/5
Character: 5/5
Cover: 5/5

22 comments:

Watching said...

I just literally bought and finished the sign copy of this book today :O tee hee hee I loved it too ^^

Aprilynne Pike said...

OMG! I'm totally blushing with glee!! I am SO GLAD you loved it. Hooray!!!

*squirms with mirth*

Thanks!!

xoxo,

Aprilynne

Senfaye said...

Great Review...isn't that the wrong synopsis though?

go with happiness said...

Thanks for catching that!! It's fixed. haha

Kate said...

I really love the sound of this book :)

Angela said...

That looks like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.

~The Book Pixie said...

I can't wait to read this! It sounds so good!

Dominique said...

oo, I love romance too; I'll have to check this book out!

Llehn said...

Number One of the NYT's list!!!! How awesome is that?!

Gaby317 said...

This sounds fun - particularly with the light romance. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Erica said...

I still haven't read this one, I've heard so many great things about it though!

Unknown said...

What a great review! This story sounds lovely and sweet, it's one that I'll have to take a look for.

Dottie :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this one yet (stupid waiting lists) but it sounds like it will be great, and I've heard nothing but good things about it! :)

Sandy said...

I'm dying to read this! I'm in love with the cover. :)

The Book Explorer said...

I can't wait until I can get a copy of this book to read!
I'm so excited!

Anonymous said...

Oh I cant wait to read. I need to read something light and good. I also love books about faeries. Squee!

Sue

Kristen said...

This book looks amazing! I'm glad it lived up to expectations. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

bookaholic13 said...

book sounds awesome

disneyfanheather said...

Oh, I love romances! Great review!

Wendy said...

The cover is lovely, I love it! Great review, I so want to read this one now!

Wendy.

Paradox said...

This sounds like an AWESOME faerie book! I must find a copy!

Bianca said...

This book sounds great!! I hope I get to read it soon!

Great review!