Friday, June 5, 2009

After the Moment by Garret Freymann-Weyr


A new novel by the Printz Honor author Garret Freymann-Weyr, about a boy who discovers what happens when love fails us—or we fail love.

Maia Morland is pretty, only not pretty-pretty. She’s smart. She’s brave. She’s also a self-proclaimed train wreck.
Leigh Hunter is smart, popular, and extremely polite. He’s also completely and forever in love with Maia Morland.
Their young love starts off like a romance novel—full of hope, strength, and passion. But life is not a romance novel and theirs will never become a true romance. For when Maia needs him the most, Leigh betrays both her trust and her love.
Told with compassion and true understanding, After the Moment is about what happens when a young man discovers that sometimes love fails us, and that, quite often, we fail love.

While most of it was well written and very interesting, there were some disappointments. For starters, I had a hard time getting into it. My mind just couldn't grasp what the novel was telling me because I found it a little boring in the first chapters.

Another thing that I found lacking was the failure to introduce the characters. I was confused as to who they were. The main characters were introduced and everything, but Leigh's parents/parent and his little sister's parent/parents weren't introduced well, and I'm still unsure if I know who they are.

Despite the listed disappointments, I still enjoyed reading After the Moment. I'm even excited to read another novel that I have by Garret. Her skill in creating a believable and compelling story is exciting! The plot is interesting and uniquely carried out.

After the Moment was different than I expected, but still enjoyable. I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, though.

Ratings:

Writing: 3/5
Story: 3/5
Character: 1/5
Cover: 1/5

2 comments:

Kate said...

I might try it. I'm not sure whether I'd like it though. Great review!

Shalonda said...

I really liked this book alot. I, like you, thought it was very believable. And I also found it a little hard to get into, but after the first few chapters I was hooked.

Oh no, you didn't like the cover? I thought it was gorgeous. It was simple, yet beautiful, and seemed so honest, like Garret's writing. I thought the two went perfectly with one another.