Saturday, June 20, 2009

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do?

I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him.

Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying.

Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny.

But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.

What Zoe discovers changes her world in ways she never thought possible. Matthias is a guardian angel, and he isn't the only one. Guardian angels walk the earth, unseen to those that aren't open to seeing, and protect their chosen. And in her messed up life, she finds herself develop an unspoken attraction to her sister's angel, Matthias.

The romance in this book is refreshing. I loved reading the scenes in which Zoe and Matthias were interacting. The connection always seemed to be there.

Another thing I loved a lot in this book are the characters. No one seems to be one-sided. Zoe may seem like she has everything under control, but turns to alcohol when feeling like she has to get away. And Luke, her brother, is caught up in drugs. I have to say that I liked the characters a lot. They were unique and detailed. The situation with Abria is also a great addition to the novel. I don't think I've ever read a book where the main character's little sister has autism.

The only problem I found with the novel was the lack of shock or reaction. Like when Zoe discovered what Matthias really is, she doesn't have much of a reaction. So the believability there was lacking just a little. Other than that, everything else was enjoyable.

HEAVENLY is satisfying in a way that only exists in the presence of a guardian angel. I can't wait to read more of the sequel, PENITENCE, especially after reading the ending to HEAVENLY. Readers wont be disappointed with this one.

Ratings:

Writing: 3/5
Plot: 4/5
Character: 4/5
Cover: 1/5
Overall: 3/5

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Review. If you dig the guardian angel scene, check out Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith!!

go with happiness said...

I actually have read that! It was really good, too.