Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleepless by Thomas Fahy


Sleepless by Thomas Fahy
Release Date: August , 2009
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 209
Overall: 2/5

Emma Montgomery has been having trouble sleeping. Whenever she closes her eyes, all she can see are the horrible nightmares...nightmares of gruesome murder. And she's not alone. All of the students of Dr. Beecher's secret society have been having terrible dreams and sleepwalking. Now, as their classmates start turning up dead, Emma and her friends race against the clock to keep themselves awake and find out what is causing them to kill in their sleep -before the next victim dies.

In all honesty, I think Sleepless was anticlimactic. Not necessatily all disappointing, but definitely not as good as I expected; it was a lot different than I thought it would be. I found more negatives in the book than positives, so that really shocked me as well.

First of all, the characters were a disappointment to me. I didn't think they were relatable at all, and they weren't distinct, meaning they changed a lot and never really stood out in my mind. I actually confused quite a few of the characters. I was about half-way through the book until I actually knew for sure who everyone was. The plot, I thought, was everywhere, and it didn't really pertain to the summary very well. The overall novel just didn't stand out for me. It was okay.

Something I did like, however, were the flashbacks that the characters would have about once a chapter, as well as their dreams, the nightmares. I found all of the dreams interesting and the details were great to read about. They created many pictures in my mind, and I found that enjoyable. The writing was also highly appreciated, and the pace was also fast, so at least the book didn't move along slowly.

While the overall book wasn't too exciting and I not once got spooked, it was at the most pleasurable. Hopefully you might find it more enjoyable than I did.

Ratings:

Writing:  2/5
Plot: 1/5
Characters: 1/5
Ending: 2/5
Cover: 2/5

If you want to win an ARC of Sleepless, go here. Maybe we'll have different opinions on the book, you never know.

2 comments:

Watching said...

Kind of sounds like Nightmare on Elm Street^^ :O I really like your new blog background <3 I think the colors blend nicely :D

Briana said...

Aw, I was hoping this would be good.

-Briana