Monday, August 3, 2009

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev


Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
Release Date: July 2009
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 368
Overall:

All her world's a stage. Bertie Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater. She's not an orphan, but she has no parents. She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own. That is, until now.

Enter Stage Right.
NATE. Dashing pirate. Will do anything to protect Bertie.
COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARD SEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM. Four tiny and incredibly annoying fairies. BERTIE'S sidekicks.
ARIEL. Seductive air spirit and Bertie's weakness. The symbol of impending doom.
BERTIE. Our heroine.

Welcome to the Theatre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Theatre by The Book--an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family--and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

Open Curtain


Eyes Like Stars is magnificant! It's content will make you ecstatic and will positively shock you. From the saucy characters to the brilliant plot--it's all, just, magnificant. There isn't a better word!

Beatrice, with the help of her friends, must convince the managers of the theater that she belongs with them, instead of the place beyond Théâtre Illuminata's doors. Peaseblossom, Moth, Cobweb, and Mustardseed, the fairy foursome that help Beatrice throughout the story, are wonderful characters. Whenever I found myself laughing while reading the book, it was always because of their dialogue--mostly involving sassy sayings and silly remarks. These secondary characters are hilariously played out. Beatrice was also a great main characters. She was hard-headed, strong-willed, and overall entertaining.

The only minor problem I had with the novel was it's pace. It was slow at some times and that made the novel a little less enjoyable. Other than that, it was up to high standards.

Eyes Like Stars is enchanting. A blue-haired trouble maker, quirky fairies, loyal pirates, demanding managers, and mysterious figures all come together to create the adventurous tale. You won't want to miss it. And I cannot wait for more of Bertie's adventure.

Writing:
Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover:

3 comments:

Molly Jo said...

That sounds soooo good! I'm going to have to check that out ASAP! Thank goodness it was published in July. It always makes me more than a little sad when I read a review and get excited about a new book, and then realize I have to wait another month (or more!) before I can read it.

I bet you thought I'd fallen off the face of the earth! I went to camp for a week and EVERYTHING fell by the wayside. I'm back on target, though! And have a couple reviews up. Can't wait for Eyes Like Stars!!!

Eli said...

I really enjoyed this book! The idea was quite unique and it surprised me. Great review. :)

Briana said...

Good review! I've been wanting to read this for a while now :)

-Briana