Monday, November 23, 2009

Liar by Justine Larbalestier


Liar by Justine Larbalestier

Release Date: September 2009
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Pages: 384
Overall:

Micah will freely admit that she’s a compulsive liar, but that may be the one honest thing she’ll ever tell you. Over the years she’s duped her classmates, her teachers, and even her parents, and she’s always managed to stay one step ahead of her lies. That is, until her boyfriend dies under brutal circumstances and her dishonesty begins to catch up with her. But is it possible to tell the truth when lying comes as naturally as breathing? Taking readers deep into the psyche of a young woman who will say just about anything to convince them—and herself—that she’s finally come clean, Liar is a bone-chilling thriller that will have readers see-sawing between truths and lies right up to the end. Honestly.

Micah is a liar, and she doesn't just tell little white lies. Oh no, she tells huge lies. Ones that change her life, and those of others. Throughout the whole book, she says she's telling the truth, but as you keep reading, you learn that she started telling her story with a lie, and you realize that she might have even ended it with one. And I love that Justine Larbalestier didn't make the character believable, because that left you thinking at the end, wondering whether or not the book was mostly a lie.

The whole book is really easy to read, easy flowing. I not once wanted to put it down, because it never got boring. Every individual section was interesting to read, even when the story seemed to change dramatically with each part. You see, the book is divided into three parts. Each part has its own job almost. Part One is about Micah telling the truth and beginning with how her life of lying started. Part Two is about a secret of hers, one big secret, so I won't get into that and spoil it for you. Finally, Part Three is the dead honest truth, or atleast that's what she says it is. Micah lets loose and tells the truth, unmasking some of the lies she previously told you.

Micah is probably one of my favorite characters. She's a liar, speaks before thinking, and acts unspeakably, and yet, I found her to be one of the most compelling characters I've ever read about. I thought she felt real, and not sugar-coated. And though she told an amazing amount of lies, I wanted to trust her even though I felt like I couldn't.

Liar is a truly gripping and interesting book, it's almost impossible to sum up in words. I was moved by it in ways I couldn't imagine. I'll definitely be reading it over and over again. It'll never get old.

Writing:
Plot:
Characters:
Ending:
Cover:

8 comments:

Rhiannon Hart said...

I'm reading this right now and enjoying it. Glad you liked it so much!

Andrea [Buried In Books] said...

This is on hold for me @ the library...it looks like a good read! I'm glad you enjoyed it :]

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Ohh, great review! Sounds like you really loved it, so I might have to check it out sometime. Hm, if only I could lie... :)

Sandy said...

I was looking at Liar when I was at B&N tonight. It looked so...appealing :D

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this book! It's so good.

Emma said...

How do you enter contest's?

Stephanie said...

This sounds like a wonderful character driven story. I thoroughly enjoyed your review!

go with happiness said...

Emma, are you talking about one of my contests? I don't have any running at the time, but will have one soon!